Friday, March 1, 2013

Round...? I 've lost count

Strep hits again.

I have still maintained my own health thus far, but at this point, I feel screwed.

On another note, it was Mexican Meatloaf night. I love anything mexican, so even though this recipe is completely different that how I usually make meatloaf, I decided to give it a try. It's excellent. And more importantly, it gets a 5 out of 5 thumbs up in my family. I like to serve it with Quinoa and Black Beans.

I have stayed pretty close to the original recipe. The only changes I made are that I add closer to 1.5 cups of rice to make it a little firmer and I suggest adding the last layer of fritos and cheese during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time. Tonight, I actually made the homemade cream of mushroom soup suggested in the original recipe and I loved it. I will post it tomorrow. Feel free to use the canned, it's fine.

Here is the original recipe.

Here is how I make it:

Mexican Meatloaf
  • 1 lb of Ground Beef
  • 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup (or homemade Cream of Mushroom, will post it tomorrow or check the original recipe for the link)
  • 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1 Small Can of Green Chilis
  • 1 16oz Jar of salsa (I use mild for my kids)
  • 1 8oz Can of Tomato Sauce 
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Brown Minute Rice (uncooked)
  • 2 Cups of Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
  • 1 Bag of Fritos, Crushed 
Preheat oven to 350. In a skillet brown the meat until done and drain, then add all of the ingredients except for Fritos and cheese and mix well. This needs to heat until it reaches a bubbling bowl.
Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour 1/2 of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish, then sprinkle with crushed Frit’s and top with cheese. Add the rest of the meat mixture and bake for about 20 minutes. Add the rest of the Fritos and top with cheese and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment