Thursday, March 7, 2013

Macaroni and Cheese

I did not end up avoiding the plague. I went to the doctor Monday with a terrible sore throat and headache I had all weekend. He didn't even culture it, he handed me an antibiotic and said that since I had 2 kids at home with strep, he is just going to treat me for it.

Tuesday was my baby boy's 9th birthday. He requested homemade macaroni and cheese with jalapenos for dinner. It's a family favorite! I have used both the canned green chilies and fresh jalapenos and both are good, not overly spicy. If you want to go spicy, throw in some pepper jack cheese too! Or for a different taste, use taco cheese with the green chilies. Plain is good too! You can make it as a side or a main dish, and it's easy to double.

I found the recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. It's the best comfort food EVER! 5 out of 5 thumbs up, even my 6 year old likes it spicy. Plain is good too!

Macaroni and Cheese

1 1/2 cups of macaroni noodles (or any other fun shaped pasta)
1/4 cup of butter
1 small onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of flour
1 3/4 milk
8oz (or 2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)

Optional ingredients:
4oz can of green chilies
1-2 jalapenos, diced
cubes of ham
1/2 to 1 cup chopped broccoli
(you can add just about anything! or just leave it plain)

Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the box. I like it to be slightly firm since it will go in the oven too. In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onions until they are almost mushy. Add salt and pepper to your taste and stir. Add they flour and mix until it looks like a thick, clumpy mess. Slowly add the milk while stirring, the clumps will work themselves out as you stir.  Keep stirring every few seconds and heat until boiling. Stir and boil for one minute, then remove from heat and add the cheese. Mix well so it melts. It will look like orange gravy, but I promise it's delicious! Mix the cheese sauce and pasta in an 8x8 pan so that the noodles are generously coated in the yummy cheese. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes, until the edges are bubbly. Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment